Every organization and every individual has records. Departments and units within the organization deal with enormous amounts of records on a daily basis. Staff members are inundated with data and information in various formats. Records must be managed from the time they are created or received, through distribution, use, and maintenance, until they are ﬁnally destroyed or permanently achieved. This three-day course will provide participants with knowledge of and experience in fundamental record keeping concepts. Through an interactive workshop, participants will gain an understanding of records and record keeping fundamentals.
- To equip participants with basic records management principles and practices
- To describe the business justiﬁcation for records management and list the major components of a formally established records management program.
- Explain the primary tools used for identifying records
- To let participants appreciate issues relating to the management of electronic desktop records
- Acquire knowledge of the role of records management within an organization.
- Understand the value of records and why an effective records management program is essential.
- Gain an understanding of physical ﬁle and document management principles
- Records Management Basics
– Records and Information
– Why keep records
– Why good records management is important?
– Beneﬁts of effective records management
– Deﬁning key terms
– Records as evidence
- Managing Paper Records
– Legal framework relating to record keeping
– Consistency and rules of ﬁling
– Life Cycle of paper records
– Records safety and protection
- Electronic Records Management
– Features and types of Electronic Records Management
– Electronic Records Life Cycle
– Creating Electronic Records Directories
– Saving documents to appropriate Electronic Folders
– Appraisal of Electronic Records
– Storage and Preservation of Electronic Records
– Archiving Electronic Records
- Designing A File Plan
– Principles of classiﬁcation and how they apply to record-keeping
– The purpose and structure of ﬁle plans and factors in their development
– Strategies for implementing a File Plan
- Records Retrieval and Control Mechanisms
- Records Destruction
- Management of Inactive Records
- Sustaining a records management program
- Practical Exercises
- Personal/Action Plan
Duration: Three (3) Days
Fees: One Thousand Five Hundred and Fifty Ghana Cedis (GH¢1,550.00) per participant
Venue: Golden Key Hotel
Who Should Attend
Records Managers, Ofﬁce Managers, Information Managers, Data Protection Ofﬁcers, Records Management Ofﬁcers, Archivists, Private and Conﬁdential Secretaries, or any staff who has the responsibility for creating and maintaining company records.